Rockstar says it’s preparing a title update for Grand Theft Auto Online In response to an exploit that effectively locked some players out of popular multiplayer games.
Remote code execution exploit first spotted late last week [RCE] Allows fraudsters to effectively corrupt accounts from a distance. Players affected by the exploit will find themselves permanently trapped in the loading screen of Grand Theft Auto.
#GTA Online PC High Alert ⚠️
A new extreme exploit has emerged that allows cheaters to remotely add/delete/modify stats, permanently corrupt accounts, aka ban/delete.
Do not play without firewall rules or at all!🚨
— Tez2 (@TezFunz2) January 20, 2023
RCE is an ongoing concern in several multiplayer games. Notably, in Dark Souls, his PvP servers were shut down for months due to this issue. Firewall rules can help, but fans are currently advised to take a break, as RCE Expos are extremely dangerous and hackers can seriously damage players’ PCs from afar.
In a tweet this afternoon, Rockstar said it was aware of the exploit and was preparing a security-related title update. Players were encouraged to contact the studio’s support page if they encountered any further issues.
Rockstar didn’t reveal when the promised title update would be released, but due to the severity of the exploit, fans can probably expect it soon.
Kat Bailey is IGN’s Senior News Editor and co-host of Nintendo Voice Chat. Any tips? Send her a DM at @the_katbot.