Infinity Ward has laid out some of the changes made to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 in response to feedback from the game’s beta release later this week.
and Post on the studio website, the team has broken down several categories of changes, including audio, UI, and movement. Most of these changes came from feedback on multiplayer, but they also apply to story campaigns.
All Field Upgrades in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Here is the full list of changes:
- Added diamond icons above enemy heads. This makes it easier for players to clearly identify their in-game opponents.
- Additionally, we continue to tweak lighting and contrast to improve enemy visibility.
- Reduced the overall range of footstep audio. This allows enemy players to get close to the target before footsteps are detected. We’re also continuing to tweak teammate footstep audio based on feedback from the beta.
- Significantly decreased the volume range of the in-world activation sound effects of the Field of Dead Silence upgrade.
- Based on feedback from the beta, aiming down sights now stays in 3rd person POV with low zoom optics. Only high-magnification optics (ACOG and later) and special optics such as hybrids and thermals return to first-person view. We believe this will improve the third-person experience while keeping gameplay balanced. Feedback for this mode has been very positive and we will continue to investigate its use as a modifier.
- We continue to tweak weapons throughout the game according to both beta player feedback and game data. With continued support post-launch, players can expect more details on weapon adjustments.
- We’ve worked hard on numerous UI updates to make accessing and customizing your loadouts more seamless. Improved menu navigation and continued UX optimization.
- Slides, ledge hangs and dives have been refined. It also addressed several locomotion exploits following the beta.
- Implemented some changes aimed at reducing lobby disbanding between matches. We are looking forward to testing this at scale and getting your feedback.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 arrives on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S on Friday, October 28, but those who pre-ordered the game digitally after October will be eligible for a promotional offer. can play 20. For more information, check out IGN’s review of the campaign (or check out the video version below).
Kenneth Shepherd is a writer covering games, entertainment and queerness across the internet. Find him on Twitter (@shepardcdr) and listen to his bi-weekly video game retrospective his podcast Normandy FM currently covering Cyberpunk 2077.