Linux graphics library Mesa 3D has released an update. version 22.3.0, It adds many optimizations and new features to the open source library. The biggest of these updates is support for AMD’s RDNA3 graphics architecture within AMD’s own Radeon Vulkan driver.
This will enable Linux gamers to support AMD’s latest RX 7000 series graphics cards running on the RDNA3 GPU architecture when running titles that use the Vulkan API. This support should also extend to compatibility layers such as Proton and Wine designed to run Windows DirectX based titles on Linux via Vulkan.
In addition to RDNA3 support, the new Mesa 3D update brings other additions such as ray tracing for RADV drivers and the addition of the Radeon Raytracing Analyzer for analyzing potential bottlenecks in your application’s ray tracing pipeline. and a number of optimizations have been added.
At this time, we do not know which Linux distributions will automatically update to version 22.3.0. So you may need to manually update to this version if you want to see new features.
Here is the full list of patch notes:
- GL_ARB_shader_clock in llvmpipe
- VK_KHR_shader_clock in lavapipe
- Mesa-DB, a new single-file cache type
- VK_EXT_attachment_feedback_loop_layout for RADV, lavapipe
- VK_KHR_global_priority for RADVs
- GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent in zink
- VK_EXT_load_store_op_none in RADV
- VK_EXT_mutable_descriptor_type in RADV
- VK_EXT_shader_atomic_float on lvp
- VK_EXT_shader_atomic_float2 in lvp
- GL_NV_shader_atomic_float in llvmpipe
- VK_EXT_image_robustness in v3dv
- VK_EXT_extended_dynamic_state3 for mule pipes
- VK_EXT_extended_dynamic_state3 for RADV and anv
- VK_EXT_pipeline_robustness in v3dv
- Bread Frost Mali T620
- Panfrost Shader Disk Cache
- Support for R8G8B8, B8G8R8, R16G16B16, and 64-bit vertex buffer formats
- Initial support for GFX11/RDNA3 in RADV
- Various ray tracing optimizations in RADV
- extendedDynamicState2PatchControlPoints in RADV
- Radeon Raytracing Analyzer integration (using RADV_RRA_* environments)
- OpenGL 4.5 (since 3.3) on freedreno/a6xx
- ANV VK_EXT_mesh_shader